Friday, October 19, 2007

Lost three good ones this week

What a week. We lost Mrs. Anna this week Deborah Kerr I know most remember From Here to Eternity and the beach kiss. The King and I stands only with West Side Story as my favorite musicals. I even played the King in Middle school. She was most charming in that movie. I can still see her in those hoop dresses flowing around I loved those big productions. Teresa Brewer died as well. Now that's when pop was pop music. "Put another nickle in, in the Nickelodeon...." gees they are truly leaving us. Now in case you don't know I am a rabid Rat Pack fan. With that said it brings me great sadness that the smartest one of them all Joey Bishop died this week. He was a comic genius way ahead of his time and way sharper than the other Rat Packers. The era is officially gone now they are all gone, Sammy, Dean, Frank, Peter and now Joey. Thank god for video and Cd's I can visit them anytime I like. It was a bitter sweet for me. Sammy has always been my hero. When he performed in Vegas they made him eat and stay downtown, which is why that old section of Vegas is bad, only the poor and the segregated blacks stayed and gambled down there. All the action was down the strip. Of course Frank put a stop to that. Like him or not, Sammy did it his way and broke into American culture leading a lot of blacks into the light. He does not receive the credit he deserves and I can't say enough about the Palies. Those were some times, and those suits....

2 comments:

Jean said...

Sad new all around. While we know death is inevitable, it stills hits us hard when those we treasure, for whatever reason, are lost.

Sapphire Eagle © said...

This is a touching reflection!