Friday, October 05, 2007

Watching them vanish

I work on College Ave in Plainsboro so I travel past our local high school every day. So many open plots of land are in development. Machinery grading the land building curbs and foundations it looks quite normal. Until I start to remember the barn that was there or the field of corn that used to grow. I know development has to come but doesn't anyone miss the landscape? The fields changing from season to season? The wildlife lurking? Foxes, deer, wild turkeys are still present in our wooded areas. Why have the masses become complacent? When I travel throughout the tri state I marvel when I see rolling hills, farms, JERSEY cattle it has such a calming effect on me. I always feel refreshed and come when I have been around these things even for one day. I know our neighbors have become interested in the battle that the EVA has long been waging but do they see what's lost or could be lost? Or do they see development in there own backyard only? When I think of Van Dyke farm leaving us I see those barns and that house leaving a irreplaceable footprint. It feels like losing a friend even the areas across the pike are like lost friends..Fields of plenty graded to become warehouses. I wish I could spread my heartfelt loss into others so they could feel the sense of loss I and my EVA'ers feel...

1 comment:

Jean said...

Makes me cry sometimes.

Years from now, when we have no food to eat, we will regret what we've done.

The presumption always is it will be grown somewhere else. But that is a foolish attitude when the best farmland WAS here.

Sorry to say, the money interests have learned to value the wrong things and they are running the world.