Monday, September 24, 2007

What a difference 9 months make

Well here I am 9 months after the Historic Marker was presented with the prospect of the headstone being restored. I stopped by the Historic Preservation office and got five, count em' five hugs from the President Anna. All she kept saying was we wanted to help in some way. Well I said restoring the headstone is the best of all and I was speechless. I said I had no words to tell her my depth of gratitude. So bear with me while I step up on my soapbox. UPHMPH!
You cannot do anything in this world without help and knowing when to ask and when to accept. My list is long and here is a small portion of the people who make my dreams possible.
Charleen
Dorothy
Jean
Jonathon
Lanni
Bill
Rev Turton
Anna
Iysha
Ceil
Chris
SB Council
Public Works
Titus Family
Dean Family
I could go on and on and on.... It's like dominoes falling. If the EVA had not encouraged me to speak in 2005...If Ceil had not recommended I apply for a marker...If Char and Dot didn't push me to create a program...If I didn't choose Anna as my keynote speaker...If I didn't work closely with the Mayors office and Public Works...If all these people had not believed in me... None of what I've done is possible without those little moments and I thank you all. As I stood there hugging Anna knowing she knew what my heart felt and the passion within me, I grow full of joy and thankfulness. This journey has been so rewarding and I have been able to touch others lives in a positive way. Even the residents around the farm keep asking to help in this project and they want to stay involved protecting the stone. When I started this early on I dreamt that maybe people would care. Maybe I could tell the Titus story. Maybe I could preserve the farm equipment. Maybe I could fix the stone and mark Thomas again. I knew it was impossible for a Joe Smuck like me to effect that sort of change. I was very wrong and I'm so glad to be wrong. When this stone is done and interred back to the grave I will cry. But those will be tears of joy and amazement of all that's happened. I feel a sense of confidence in my fellow man again. I stopped and realized how special 2007 is and appreciate every person on my journey I'm in the moment and I will enjoy every second of it...

1 comment:

Jean said...

Good things happen to good people.

I am cheering your success and even more to come in April.