Friday, June 22, 2007

I found my "Laughing Place"

I took time this week to enjoy articles that had some of my work in them. I have saved newspapers from late 2004 till the present most talk about slavery in South Brunswick, Titus or Van Dyke farms. It seems so much longer ago that I met Debbie from the Home News or Chris at The Sentinel to talk about slavery and cemeteries. Chris has been my favorite from the start. His writings seem to bring my passion across and that is always most important to me next to preservation. Last week I took time to pick my favorite three articles from 2007, 2006 and 2005 and have them matted and framed. I plan to do my first from 2004 soon. 2005 Debbie wrote the article on the headstone in the broom closet. I so love that one because the title is so powerful, no one wants to see a headstone in a broom closet. 2006 I took Chris on a tour of six cemeteries in the town and he wrote a article chronicling my efforts at these cemeteries which was so much fun for us both. He really enjoyed seeing what he had already heard so much about. Finally in 2007 I used the Titus dedication article with 91 year old Tommy and his niece clutching a family member portrait. As I looked back at these articles it became clear how much time and effort I have used on this project. Well not really a project more of a work in progress. I truly hope to continue with this long into my golden years come on, how many of you have found your "Laughing Place"?

1 comment:

Jean said...

I really miss Debbie. Hope she is doing well.

Chris has an amazing passion for his work. He has grown as both a reporter and a writer over the years. It is a pleasure to see him mature in his work.