Friday, June 29, 2007

I lost a good friend today

There are no icons of TV or the movies that I can say I have a real connection with except for two people. Leonard Maltin is one (My animation guy) and Joel Segal was the second. Joel passed today I am sad to say. His taste was my taste and I followed his movie advice for 30 years. I am a movie buff and I spent a long time looking for someone who's taste matched mine. He was funny, witty and charming. Joel was no blue eyed handsome man he was just a guy, like me, who had a vast knowledge of movies. A everyday guy I like to call them. When the cancer really attacked him earlier this year my heart broke to see him so frail and sick but he hung in and tried to continue his work, I admire him for that. He even left his young son a book to cherish even though he would be gone, I respect him for that. Every time he did a review he was honest and fun to see, especially with Charlie, I loved him for that. Now it's his time to rest and put his worries behind him. I will miss this man but he truly earned a place in my heart and a seat upstairs.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Sad news indeed. I always liked his reviews. I didn't "follow" him, though, so I did not know he was ill. The world of criticism is so much quieter without his wit and wisdon. RIP.