Monday, June 25, 2007

Since I can't find Sarah, I'll visit Elsie

Headed out for Plainsboro today in search of Sarah Titus, Tommy is looking for the wife of Thomas Titus burial spot, so I went looking. Not a surprise I did not find anything on Sarah and the Historical Society was closed so I took a minute to find a old friend. Since I was right on Plainsboro Rd I headed down to the development called Walker Gordon Farms. I quickly had a nightmare in my mind of Van Dyke farm looking like this. Beautiful townhouses with open fields between, a playground and several balls fields for the kids. Very lovely bike and walking paths throughout the community. Every thing was there except Walker Gordon farms. The cows and pastures, the testing facilities all gone. No milk, no cows, no pastures nothing but townhouses. Just another famous farming facility wiped clean from the map. Except for one small thing. Elsie is still there. Come on you remember, Borden cheese and dairy products, the 1939 World's Fair, the introduction of the new face of Borden, Elsie the Cow. I have fonds memories of her commercials in the 60's. Further back she made appearances and become one of the first real corporate symbols. I remember her being animated but I always loved that cow. So here she lies 5 miles from my home. Right outside a townhouse windowsill wonder if the owner got a break for the view of the dead commercial cow?

1 comment:

Jean said...

Remember the big automatic milker?

I visited the farm before they bulldozed it under as a girl I knew had her horse there.

I'll keep that memory, thank you, and not go back to see the townhouses.