Friday, July 20, 2007

The truth hits everybody, the truth hits everyone...

Last night in Philadelphia the skies opened up like a dam bursting. I often wonder if this raining sideways phenom is unique to Pennsylvania because it was hitting us from the side full force. Now being in Philly for a outdoor concert with sideways rain is not encouraging but we soldiered on into Wal-Mart bought ponchos and hit the car. Having just spent 3 hours at Dave and Busters my son and I were in real good moods and even the rain would not dampen our spirits. Once we got the Citizens Bank Park (I still prefer the VET!) the skies cleared and the air became much cooler in essence the perfect night for a concert. As the opening acts sang we walked the complex and every food you can imagine was there. I was quite proud of myself not having anything but a diet coke. My son finally got to try Chickie and Pete's Crab Fries which had quite a impressive line. They were good but nothing to get too excited about for me but CJ was thrilled. So by now your wondering who the heck did we see? Well if your a fan it's in the title. The Police reunion tour. Now I saw them in 1979 and they were fabulous and I'm happy to report they are still fabulous only...Only well... Age has kicked my butt and Stings but too. His falsetto is gone so the edge on the music has changed not that I did not enjoy it but it was noticeable of course I am a heck of a lot heavier since 1979 so were even :-) The energy and fun was still there. Andy Summers the(OMG) 63 year old guitarist has since publicly stated he could not play through out most of the career of the Police. Can you imagine winging it in such a popular band? He made up for it and I felt he really had something to prove on this tour, he was amazingly improved. Now the main reason my son wanted to go was Stewart Copeland drummer extraordinaire. He did not let my son down. He played the kit and had various instruments set up behind the kit so he could stand and play it was a clinic on proper drumming. The crowd was very young and lots of families like us, parents sharing there music experience with the kids. I felt right at home at the show. This is what family is about sharing some amazing moments once and a while. He will never forget the show and I will never forget him enjoying it. Some day I'll tell my grand kids about the day CJ and I saw the band who made that song Roxanne. Lastly Sting I lost a few steps too but thanks for giving it your all, the truth hits everybody, the truth hits everyone. (OO OO OO)

1 comment:

Jean said...

Sideways rain hits in NJ sometimes too. However, it is one of those "I am going to an outdoor affair," kind of things. *G*

The evening was cool and beautiful here too, so I'm glad you benefited in Philly.

I am not into Rock myself, but I surely know how special such a concert can be, particularly when you can enjoy it with your son.

Age and time do have a way of changing things. Perceptive people recognize it and just "go with the flow." Sounds as if some of your musicians were very smart about it all.

Glad you had a good time.