Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Headstone in the school

For quite some time I have been hearing stories about headstones in one of our elementary schools. I actually requested it be checked although I cannot be sure anyone actually looked. At a dinner party last night I had a opportunity to meet a unnamed important person in the district who wants to personally investigate this. My wife confirmed 3 other people she knew in the school system who confirmed they saw the stones as well having attended this school in there youth. The stones were removed to build a play ground over the small family plot (Sad isn't it?) since a school sits on the property. They were supposed to have moved the stones into the back woods which I have walked many times without a sign of them. This is the list of who was buried in this cemetery I wonder how many stones were removed?
Morris, Ann, d. July 29, 1817, age 86.3.3

Rightmire, James, d. July 7, 1829, aged 59 years

Sutphin, Mary, wife of Richard Sutphin, d . May 6, 1841, aged 61 years

Sutphin, Richard, d. Aug. 17, 1840, aged 85 years

Van Cleef, Ann, wife of Jacobas, daughter of Thomas & Jane Caywood, d. May 25, 1811, aged 20.11.18

Van Pelt, Aaron, d. Aug. 11, 1830, aged 30.4.11

Van Pelt, Abigail, wife of Isaac Van Pelt, d. Oct. 7, 1849, aged 82.8.6

Van Pelt, Isaac, d. April 27, 1816, aged 65.7.17

Van Pelt, Isaac, d. April 27, 1816, aged 67 years

Van Pelt, Isaac, d. April 30, 1825, aged 37.2.2


I'll keep you all posted on this one should be interesting to see if I can find them.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Rightmire, James? Could it be one of my relatives? Somewhere there is a copy of the family tree my aunt worked on...if I can find it, this would be an interesting item.

Are these the reputed stones under the stage?

James said...

sure are..What a town, headstone in the broom closet, headstones under the stage, skeletons in the mayo.... better stop there...