Friday, May 04, 2007

Spring time is here

The weather is good, the sun is shining and warm. Time for some cemetery searches. Woodland exploration. Old house hunting. This is the time of the year I can head out and look at old structures and the like. I love when I can get back outside. Not that inside research isn't good too but I love to be outside searching for things. I have done some of my best work in the spring/summer. I remember the summer I went after the Titus headstone. I must have approached everyone in Kendall Park and Monmouth Junction looking for that stone. I found the farm and I found writings of the existence of the stone but the stone itself hid out almost an entire summer. Thank god someone finally recalled a man named Tom Morris (Head of recreation of all things)who knew about a stone. After a conversation with him I was sent to the Public Works building and inside of there, up the stairs, down the dirty corridor through a broom closet, in a corner lay the stone. In two pieces but still there never the less. The headstone in the broom closet. You better believe they don't keep it in a broom closet anymore :-) That was a grand accomplishment for me and I still recall that feeling once I laid eyes on it. It is a good feeling when you find something that eludes you for so long. I think everyone should experience that feeling once and a while, it acts like a boost of confidence inside you. I still years later carry that feeling with me. Who knows maybe I'll go over the Eastern side of town and play with Tucker, Toby and Chance....

2 comments:

Jean said...

Oops, make that Tucker, Toby and Chance. You are welcome any time, but, unfortunately, none of the three are the kind of critters I could let other people ride. Sometimes they even scare me. *G*

I want to look at the graves in the Cranbury cemetery sometime.

Have to wonder what other secrets are around the area. Wasn't there a listing of area cemeteries somewhere?

James said...

I have been there several times, even with Lawrence he has pictures. I can take you around ti I am pretty familuar.