Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Historic Church Visit

Over the Memorial Day weekend I attended a christening for a family friend who lives in Philadelphia. Little did I know the church is a famous historic landmark in Philly. This is also the very first church of it's kind in the United States. The Mother Bethel AME church was established around 1787. It has been a National historic landmark since 1974. Of course there was no AC so it was rather moist for us suit wearers but the church has such a nice feel to it I did not mind at all. A guest speaker from Nigeria made it even more fun for me. I have never attended a African Methodist Episcopal church before but there are similarities to services to the Baptist church I have attended. So I felt quite at home during the service which lasted around 90 minutes. They offer tours so I plan to return to do the historical tour and learn more about the structure and the founder Richard Allen. Should be fun learning something so new.

1 comment:

Jean said...

I love that special "feel" a historic place gives off. It's as if it has its own spirit.

Now you have me thinking...just what are the basic differences among Presbyterian, Baptist, and Methodist. We sure seem able to get together just fine for a special service. Wonder if Baptist is more Methodiset or Presbyterian? Gotta do some research on this one.