Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mr. Walling goes to Monroe

Imagine my shock this morning when I started to read in my local South Brunswick Post that Richard Walling was involved in the Thompson Park mess in Jamesburg in which Monroe Township is trying to build a new school. Here is an excerpt:

"Enter Richard Walling, a historical preservationist and author who believes the proposed high school site to be the location of historical Bethel Indian Town, the Presbyterian mission run by the Rev. David Brainerd in the middle of the 1700s. Mr. Walling has filed an application with the state Historic Preservation Office to have it listed on the state Register of Historic Sites — and he says he'll sue if the state, township or school board go ahead with the school project before the application is reviewed. (He's also threatened township officials, via e-mail, with charges of official misconduct — which would be par for the course in a battle that has been rife with personal attacks from its beginning four years ago.)"

This is a great cause and it is always good to keep up the good fight but Mr. Walling has had some very difficult times in the public eye in the last few years and frankly I am very surprised he would become involved in this very public battle. I cannot judge him (lord knows we all have done things not to be proud) but if I were him I think it wise to keep myself in the background of a big situation such as this. For those of you who don't know him or what happened "allegedly" here is some of his story in East Brunswick NJ.

" Former East Brunswick councilman, disgraced teacher and local historian Richard Walling has pleaded guilty to theft in connection with checks from The Friends of Monmouth Battlefield that he wrote for eyeglasses, phone bills and to himself, authorities said. Walling, 48, served as the chief executive officer of the Monmouth County-based volunteer, nonprofit group when he stole $32,500 from it between August 2003 and February 2005 authorities said."

I will give him credit for being passionate but his previous issues could make his association with the situation turn poisonous. Stay tuned, this could get really good in the future....

2 comments:

Jean said...

Oops. Did I tell you Rich Walling and I joined forces to combat a warehouse the Zoning Board had approved in a rural residential zone?

I have not spoken to him since all the trouble he had as things got pretty awkward, to say the least.

However, he is a formidable advocate once he takes on a task. I agree about concern of his taking high public profile, but it has been a while. Perhaps he can do some good.

James said...

I hope he can...I'm watching with interest.