Thursday, May 03, 2007

The LOST connection to the USS Constellation

I have resisted blogging about many other things than history and current history. (Don Imus)I can't stand it anymore I must bring up my favorite TV show LOST. Now if you never watched it you will have no idea of why we LOST fans are so perplexed and that really won't matter so please read on. The premise is:
Plane crashes on island,
Some survive,
Others are living on the island,
Strange things happen on the island.
There is is area on the island known as Black Rock. Within it is a huge old 19Th century ship. When this was found it had the markings of a slave ship. It is old and falling apart with unstable dynamite and dead bodies all around and inside. When we first were shown this ship I was so excited and I had to wait a long time till last night's episode not only brought it back but spent a lot of time within the ship. Mind you it is on dry land way back from the beach line of the island so it has a creepy aura about it. Because this episode was so intense I could not see a lot of the ship in the scenes but you better believe I will be watching this online just to keep eyes out for the ship background. It is such a treat for me to have such a piece of history written into a TV show and it is a part of the charm of LOST for me. You never know what will show up and how odd it may be. My curiosity of slave ships started back in 2002 I think. My family took a trip to Baltimore Inner Harbor. The gals went shopping and my son and I saw this ship docked and it looked really old. So we paid the price and boarded and I immediately felt uneasy. As I went deeper into the levels I felt down right chilled to the bone. My son who was about 9 at the time seemed fine so I shrugged it off. The thing that really bothered me was a map which showed how the slaves were packed in the hull like sardines. I finally had to leave the ship, not that I was not aware of these ships and the stories it just hounded me in my mind. I truly felt fear. So what did I do when I got back home? Hit the Internet and searched for the USS Constellation and I found it on many ghost hunters list as the most haunted ship. Now I did not SEE or HEAR anything. But the history of the ship starts as a slave ship and ends up in battle in the Civil War. So death and misery surrounded her throughout history. I cannot confirm or deny the existence of ghosts (Many others have worked that) but it did leave me cold. Best of all LOST has brought me back to that day in Baltimore of which I never planned to share with anyone (except the lovely Charleen :-) ). Since many who read this know me I hope you all know I am basically a sane man. (Go ahead disprove it, I dare ya) If you ever get to Baltimore board this ship and see for yourself, at least I warned you ahead of time!!!

6 comments:

Jean said...

Ooh, now, this is weird conincidence. Somewhere I have a memorial coin from The Constellation. I believe when I visted her back in the late 50's or early 60's she was in New England--or she may be been in Baltimore which would have made it the 50's. Now I will have to dig out that coin to show you.

I had no idea she had been used as a slave ship. Now you have me shivering. I have always had this "funny feeling" about having visited her, but I too may have been only 10 or 11 when I did. Could it be that I sensed something even back then?

Jean said...

According to the Constellation website, that ship never carried slaves but was commissioned by the US Navy to patrol off the coast of Africa to stop illegal slave trade. Apparently, according to the documents and quotes on the site. (www.constellation.org) many slaves did end up on board after the ships were taken.

Did you find evidence that the Constellation herself was part of the trade? This ship was commissioned in 1854. Some of the quotes tell some terrible stories.

James said...

Have not found evidence yet but my Spidey senses are tingling!!

Jean said...

Spidey sense aside, the new blog design looks great? You were that skinny kid? I think I'd be embarrassed to post my old prom pics--if I could even find them.*G*

Jean said...

That was supposed to read...."looks great!!" Where did that darn question mark come from??

James said...

Thank you? heheheeh