Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Clear and present danger....

It's 4:55 as I sit at my desk working my real job. I have been here for 7 years, don't make a lot but it's been steady work. Except for the layoffs. Every year since 9/11 we go through a round of layoffs. As I sit here and look around 3 of my co-workers have received envelopes stating there date of departure. People all over the building are receiving these envelopes and it truly is disturbing. I know companies feel they must do these things but the manner in which it is carried out needs more sensitivity training. They handed them envelopes sent them home, told them not to discuss the situation and they must work OUT there last days. In some cases that is 10 weeks. Don't get me wrong I am thankful to have my job (So far) but watching this unfold for the 7Th time is wearing my nerves thin. It is hard to watch people leave and then come back next week like all is well. The largest fear for me is uncertainty, am I next, could it be my turn, how long do I have? But worst of all that has happened today is this. We have a meeting at 9am this morning before this all starts and we see a grey haired man with a pistol side holstered walking around the building from department to department. No explanation, no word, just watch him walking all around. Then the layoffs start it seems he was here to make sure people stayed calm and not threw a fit of rage. But do you know how unnerving it is to see a man strapped with a weapon for no reason patrolling your office? There has got to be a better way of doing this, it leaves the surviving employees shaken and stirred.

2 comments:

Jean said...

That has got to be really scary.

And yes, companies really do need to develop some kind of sensitive approach. That armed guard clearly demonstrates the kind of atmosphere they are expecting as a result of what they are doing.

How dreadful to think that our economy would force people out of their jobs in this day and age. It is almost medieval...I can picture the hooded executioner lurking in the corner.

I'll think good thoughts for you. Wish I could do more.

Claire said...

over here, employers are forced to have a consultation period before making peole redundant ... especially of any scale...

and over here, guns are illegal anyway ....and long may it stay that way!