Monday, April 23, 2007

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" And bring back pally.

President Reagan may have charged this duty to Gorbachev, but Boris Yeltsin was left to make it all work. It was never easy for Boris, he was blamed for all the financial woes that come from democracy. He was labeled an alcoholic. He could not stop looting of state industry as it went private. Some say he used his power to squash political adversaries. All of this is most likely true but I loved this guy. He steered the Soviets through an impossible task of democracy and they are still standing today. He was sick, he battled the bottle, but this was a real man in all his dorkiness. He stood on a tank and took power. He danced (terribly) during elections. He kept a smiling face while Russia almost imploded. I have always had a soft spot and much admiration for the manly men of politics. That era was gone once I reached manhood. I am a part of the sensitive, understanding, cooking, babysitting, how can I help you honey age of husbands. Yeltsin, Gorby, Reagan all real men. Bronson, Eastwood, Michum, Wayne ate nails for breakfast men. Even the Rat Pack, silly, funny real man's men. I look at our political leaders and there has been a change in the manly men landscape. President Bush, not so much. Today's Hollywood? DiCaprio, Cruise, Damon, Nicolas Cage, I think not. I am not saying that you must be a man's man to do these things, I am saying, I miss those types of guys. I grew up loving the aura and the style of those times and those men. Time marches on without a doubt but come on, wouldn't it be nice to throw on a tux or a gown, go to a show in Vegas (With cigarette smoke) only 250 people in the room, double shot of Bourbon(Guys) martini (Gals) listen to dirty jokes you need to THINK about before you get it? I know, I know in 1960 they would not even have let me in those places in Vegas. That's not the point, it was about style and class, black and white even through segregation both had it. One time ,just once I would loved to say "Hey Pally? Ain't nothing like a dame".

2 comments:

Jean said...

Eeeeek! And you complain about Imus? *just kidding*

I guess that world is gone. Today's action heroes blow things up instead or else brood about blowing things up....or something.

I have mixed feelings about the past clearcut depiction of "real men," myself. Not that I mind a man of action and the simplicity of right vs wrong in that world, but I guess I always suspected things were more complex. I guess too, the idea of the woman draped helplessly on the hero's arm always bugged me a little too..

I mean, there would be the hero engaged in some kind of life or death battle with the villain and the woman would be off to the side observing it all through horrified eyes. Like, geez, lady, get a brick or something and hit the crook over the head! Or grab the gun and shoot him already!

James said...

That's why those days are gone forever..Nostalgia always feels better than the real thing!!