Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I get by with a little help from my friends...

Last week while at Rutgers I was put in touch with Dorothy who had done extensive research on slavery in Franklin. She is 80 plus and has been working on this for 50 years. She seemed very pleased to have someone trying to research the subject asking for help from her research. I know that feeling of doing research and finding someone who can put it to a use. That makes all those days of tough research feel well worth while, she found seven African American Van Dyke's whom I will try and track to ours in Fresh Ponds. Complicating matters is the lack of maiden names. In the 18Th century everything was so male driven. Once women married in many case that maiden name just vanished. I have a connection between Ten Broeck(Brook)-Van Dyke-Titus which may allow me to work through families to maybe find out more about burials in the families. Problem is I show two sisters, Bertha Ten Broeck and Hattie Van Dyke, and I don't know the maiden names. Van Dyke could be it but they don't show under the name. If they were sisters at some point they would have lived together. Well no one ever said this would be easy. I'll just keep shaking that tree till something falls out.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Hey, don't shake too hard. The birds are starting to nest. *G*

Your research fascinates me. We may not know what it all means, but it sure is interesting.

You are so right about the male driven society and maiden names. While the recent trend in hyphenated names is cumbersome, it has its merits.

Anonymous said...

I came across your post while doing some regular family research. I was intrigued by your research of the Van Dyke and Ten Broeck family, mainly because I have one attached relative I can find very little information about. His name was Ralph Van Dyke Ten Broeck. On March 2, 1859
he married Jane T. Beekman in Somerset Co, NJ. They lived in
Montgomery Twp between 1860-1880
and their only daughter, Elizabeth Buchanan Ten Broeck was born in New Brunswick, and is
my connection to the family as she married a Todd. I can't help but feel due to both his location and his odd double name he may have a connection to the two families you are researching!

Rafer aka JonQPublix@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I came across your post while doing some regular family research. I was intrigued by your research of the Van Dyke and Ten Broeck family, mainly because I have one attached relative I can find very little information about. His name was Ralph Van Dyke Ten Broeck. On March 2, 1859
he married Jane T. Beekman in Somerset Co, NJ. They lived in
Montgomery Twp between 1860-1880
and their only daughter, Elizabeth Buchanan Ten Broeck was born in New Brunswick, and is
my connection to the family as she married a Todd. I can't help but feel due to both his location and his odd double name he may have a connection to the two families you are researching!

Rafer aka JonQPublix@aol.com