Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Been quite a while...

Well I have been busy with the farm celebration and it still has me running. But I have decided to take some time and research the slaves on the Van Dyke farm in South Brunswick. Since the farm is already on the endangered list any of this of information can only bolster the case to save the farm. Times have changed so drastically since my childhood. Our neighborhoods have become disjointed. We do not socialize as we once did and I believe this has created a discourse between our towns and it's citizens. People live in a town or city but they have no emotional investment in the area. It's a place to hang your hat, sleep, grab a cup of coffee and off you go. The weekend comes and it's off to drag the kids around or entertain ourselves. My experience in lecturing to Seniors has taught me they will care eventually, but at that point there will be little impact they can have. Sometimes I feel I have to shame my local officials into doing anything right by the towns history, they react to many things as if it was a bother. I am sure my friend Jean can agree when you have so much passion you don't have much patience for foolishness.

No comments: