Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Preparation, Preparation, Preparation

Since the EVA convinced me to speak in 2005 I have discovered some great things about myself. I always get nervous before I speak, but it leaves me half way in. I am quick on my feet when questioned. The more passion I feel the more I can convey to the audience. This all came into play while I was interviewed live on radio this morning. The key to what works for me is my preparation. I spoke to my fellow EVA ers last night and got a feel for the message I needed to convey. I put together some loose notes on the farm and the slaves, the developer, my goals and wants. As I sat in my PJ's on with eight separate pieces of paper on the table before me I calmly responded to the questions, and some were very deep questions, slowly feeling more confident as it went on. I do not think that Jean, Bill, Lanni or Jonathon realized I have only spoken about the slave aspect not the intimate details of the farms fight to be saved. What made me most nervous was that I wanted to present the group as competent, passionate and devoted. Not a loose group of people going off in all directions, I know how good these people are, I needed the audience to know it too. I never spoke on behalf of them all. Jean has assured me I did a good job and I feel good about the experience so far. Next week I start my research into the slaves and hopefully we will have other chances to get the word out to save Van Dyke farm.

2 comments:

Jean said...

If you were nervous, there wasn't a trace of it in your voice or answers. You are right about having to represent the bigger picture now. Sorry about that, but you seem to have joined the "mob."

On that account, you were amazing--honestly. It's a big step to go from research/historical expert to activist. And, believe me, it's also a bit scary. Hang on for the ride. It's going to be interesting. (Hey, you should know from some of your plans for the Titus Farm....)

Claire said...

passion and knowledge are the required combination for effective public speaking (that does sound pompous, doesn't it!). but it's true! well done. (haven't listened to it yet, pc won't go online and that's where the speakers are!!!)