Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Now the waiting begins...

Yesterday was a busy one. I started to contact my hopefuls for the Titus Farm dedication. So far I have sent invitations to Rep. Rush Holt, Senator Menendez, Congressman Charles Rangel and hell, I even sent one to Barack Obama. I figure the worst they can say is no. I would have sent one to Hillary Clinton but I don't have the minimum 100 grand she has to get as of now. (That sounds so greedy when I write it!) I still have to get one to Governer Corizine. If anyone out there has a idea for a good speaker who may actually want to speak for his constitutes let me know!
I also have been putting the Van Dykes in order of ownership. When dealing with slave history it is so frustrating only having first names. What really stokes my fire is when I see other family with surnames for the slaves. I believe they all had them but some masters just didn't bother mentioning them. UGH! On the positive note I am glad to be pretty organized in research. I know I will be doing this the first week in April so I am collecting as much information as possible ahead of time so when I head to New Brunswick and Trenton I will focused on Van Dykes and the correct ones only. I find it so simply to get distracted by other information I come by. I try to be disciplined to keep to the subject at hand but sometimes that is hard to do. I love knowing I have to research though, it feels ooo so good......

2 comments:

Jean said...

You are far better organized than I am. I'd be totally distracted all the time. I asked about the surnames on Sunday, so I find that part of the story very interesting.

You are right that surnames would be a big help. Wonder why they were so often neglected? Another case of taking away a personal identity?

Can't wait to discover what you discover. The topic is riveting.

Anonymous said...

My name is Leslie Potter and I am Rush Holt's district director. Can you clarify what the event is to which the Congressman has been invited. That will help us track your invitation. You can reach me at leslie.potter@mail.house.gov