Thursday, March 29, 2007

My dear friend and mentor....

I had a situation this week where we were offered possible help saving the Van Dyke farm. Problem is the person who offered may have a different agenda than us so I emailed my mentor Dot as usual she pondered the situation and came back with bullet points to ponder which were fabulous. Through lecture proof reading, story opinions, and moral support Dot has earned the right to my trust in all that I do. She is always consistent in her opinion and advice and I admire all she has accomplished as a educator. One of the most difficult, if not impossible tasks for a writer is to accept criticism. Writing is very personal in that I am no exception. I knew I needed someone who would be brutal honest yet respectful of my emotions. From the first lecture till yesterday Dot has fulfilled that roll in my life and I cannot thank her enough. I speak to her from time to time, some stretches for months at a time but when I interviewed on two radio stations, she was there. When I stared into that TV camera yesterday, she was there. When I go to Governor Corzine's and ask him to review the Van Dyke farm and speak at my function, yea she'll be there too. You see I figured it out. A true friend inspires you, criticizes you, supports you, and leaves a little piece of themselves with you. Dot left me a good piece of herself, that makes me a better historian every day.

1 comment:

Jean said...

What a lovely tribute. I can only hope that one day one of my students will say something like that about me.

I for one, could assure Dot she taught you well. You are a thorough, dedicated researcher who is very careful with your facts, and you have proven over and over to be an articulate and informed speaker.